Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Chapter 1: Not Just a Product



    One of the major concepts that I picked out from Chapter 1 was the idea centered around "you're not just buying a product, but also...". An example from class was "you're not just buying a pair of sneakers, but you're also buying individuality" or "you're not just buying water, but smart water". I thought this was interesting because I have felt that effect on me before when I'm buying various products- anything from a car to an iPod to an item at a grocery store.
    To demonstrate this point in my own apartment, I checked my pantry and found two items that I thought utilized this marketing strategy. The first image is a box of brownie mix, courtesy of Betty Crocker. As the picture shows, it's "Americas Favorite Brownie!" so you're not just buying brownie mix when you pick up Betty Crocker's brownie mix. You're also buying "Americas Favorite Brownie". This can give someone the feeling of belonging to something- being a part of the group who finds this brownie their favorite. The same thing is shown on the lower image of JIF peanut butter. As you can see, it says #1 Choice of Choosy Moms. If you are a "choosy mom" then you're going to want to buy this product to once again feel a part of something. This is smart on the company's part because it would be my guess that their target market is in fact moms or parents in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment