Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chapter 5: My CDM Process Experience

Whether consumers realize it or not, there is a process that they go through when realizing they need something. This process is described in Chapter 5 and in this blog post, I will provide an experience of mine experience where I realized I was going through this process subconsciously.
                The first step of the Consumer Decision Making Process is problem recognition and the problem in my case is that I am hungry. I need food and I want to satisfy this need with some fast food. Next I naturally do some information searching; I try to remember which restaurants are close and within a reasonable driving distance. In this case, there is a Subway, McDonalds, Arbys, Quiznos, Dairy Queen, and Jack in the Box. I now move on to evaluating my choices or alternatives and utilize certain key criteria. One of these criteria is that I want a sandwich and not a burger so that can help me narrow my choices down to just two: Subway and Quiznos. A second key criterion is that I want this lunch to be affordable, but both of these options fit that criteria so I can’t narrow it down any further based on that.
                Finally, I can move onto the next step and that is my decision. Based on brand loyalty I have decided to go with Quiznos, which is my usual favorite. As far as the last step goes, post purchase behavior, I am very satisfied with my decision and I don’t neurotically question myself at all.
                Throughout the above passage, I went through one example of the Consumer Decision Making Process and how it guided me throughout my decision of what to have for lunch. Consumer’s do this all the time for many different products and services whether they realize it or not and if you understand the system, it can actually benefit you as an individual in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment